Sunday, March 5, 2023

Choice of suspension parts and quality of ride on a land rover defender 110

 I have always loved driving my Land Rover Defender 300tdi 110, a classic off-road vehicle that can handle any terrain. However, I noticed that the ride was very stiff and uncomfortable when not loaded with cargo or passengers. I wondered if there was something wrong with the suspension parts of my Defender. Here is a video of the action from underneath.



I did some research online and found out that my Defender had double shocks at the rear wheels, which were meant to provide extra stability and support when carrying heavy loads. However, when not loaded, they make the ride harsher and less smooth. I decided to remove one pair of shocks and see if it made any difference.

To my surprise, it did! The ride became much softer and more comfortable without compromising the handling or performance of my Defender. I was happy with this improvement, but I wanted to see if I could make it even better.

I looked for some aftermarket suspension parts that could enhance the ride quality of my Defender. I came across Monroe oil shocks, which are known for their durability and reliability.  I swapped the remaining pair of rear shocks with Monroe shocks and tried driving it while loaded with some heavy stuff.

The ride was surprisingly smooth! The new shocks absorbed the bumps and vibrations effectively and gave me a pleasant driving experience. They also improved the stability and control of my Defender when cornering or braking. I was very impressed by these shocks and how they transformed my Defender. You never know what you're missing, one takeaway from this is that it's difficult to tell when shocks go bad, i had no idea the old ones were that bad.

The next thing I want to try is to remove the heavy duty springs and put on the stock springs which should be softer. Heavy duty springs are meant for off-road use or towing purposes, but they can also make the ride stiffer than necessary. Stock springs are more suitable for normal driving conditions and when you're not carrying a lot of load on your landy.

No comments:

Post a Comment