Sunday, March 5, 2023

How I customized a hub nut spanner for my Land Rover and saved money

I own a Land Rover Defender and I love working on it myself. One of the tasks that I often do is changing the wheel bearings and hub seals.For this, you need a special tool called a hub nut socket, which is used to remove and tighten the lock nut on the hub bearingsA hub nut socket is a deep impact socket that has a specific size and shape to fit the hub nut. For Land Rovers, the size is usually 52mm. However, buying a hub nut socket can be quite expensive. A new one can cost around £18-£35, depending on the brand and quality.



I decided to look for a cheaper alternative and I found one online. It was a hack that involved customizing a hub nut spanner by welding a nut on it. A hub nut spanner is box socket that has two holes that you can fit a metal rod in and the other end goes into the hub nut. It can be used to loosen or tighten the hub nut.It is much cheaper because it's made from a regular pipe which is pressed to meet the hub nut dimensions.



The hack was simple: I bought a cheap hub nut spanner (£5) and a 52mm hexagonal nut (£1). Then, I welded the nut onto one end of the spanner, making sure it was aligned with the side that hold the hub nut. The result was a DIY hub nut socket that could be used with any 1/2 inch drive ratchet or breaker bar.






I tried using my customized tool for changing my wheel bearings and hub seals and it worked perfectly. It fitted snugly onto the hub nut and allowed me to remove and tighten it with ease. It also did not damage or strip the threads of the hub nut or spindle.

I was very pleased with my hack and how it saved me money. I would recommend this hack to anyone who owns a Land Rover and needs to change their wheel bearings and hub seals regularly. It is easy, cheap, and effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment